I really wanted to bake these because of the icing, I've never melted fondant before so wanted to give it a try. It was really sticky and quite hard to work with. This may be because my cakes were cracked and quite domed. But once the icing set it was quite affective, l just don't know whether l will be rushing back to make the icing. If you didn't want to try the fondant l think a buttercream would go really nicely with the cake.
For the cupcake
- 90g butter at room temperature
- 90g softened cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
1 packet of white fondant
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon orange flavouring essence
1. Preheat oven to 150c fan forced or 170c non fan forced, beat all ingredients except for the flours with an electric mixer until fluffy and pale in colour. Add flours and beat until combined. Spoon into patty tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in tin.
Place icing in a small microwave proof bowl and heat on 30% heat for 30 seconds, stir and test, then another 30 seconds. It should look soft like marshmallow spread. Stir in egg white and flavouring. Use immediately. Spread fondant quickly over cakes and to smooth the surface use a wide knife dipped in hot water to smooth surface (the knife will need some water on it or it will stick to the fondant)