Well l was faced with a serious dilemma today, and for an avid baker it was sacrilege, I only had 50g of butter left in the fridge! I had only just been to the Supermarket, how could l forget to stock up?. So off l went and scrolled through hundreds of recipes to find something suitable to make.
I came across this recipe for Jam Donut Cupcakes on www.notquitenigella.com.au , the recipe was easy to follow, looked really effective, required no butter and as mentioned by NQN they brought back many childhood memories.
Makes 6 Muffins
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 1/2 cup extra to coat
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 175ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 6-hole muffin pan.
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl, then add a pinch of salt and the caster sugar. In a jug, combine the vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add to the dry mixture and stir to only just combine. Place a spoonful of the mixture in each muffin hole and make an indent in the centre. Fill each indent with a generous 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry jam. Cover the jam with the remaining muffin mixture and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter. Combine the extra sugar and the cinnamon in a large bowl. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, brush each muffin with the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar. Serve while still a little warm.
- The cakes were delicious and very addictive!